Day 12: Fly Home

Left Shanghai early morning. Said tearful goodbyes to Han at the airport. Endured a L-O-N-G (16 hour) flight. Photo at right shows what the teenaged girls (Clinna, Gretchen & Emily) did to pass the time! Myself, I watched 4 movies, walked around, and dozed a bit. Finally we got home and it was good. Some of us went out for pizza. Took a few days to get over the jet lag (15 hour time difference) but I would do the trip again in a minute. I loved it.


People ask me what my favorite part of the trip was. It's so hard to say. But if I had to pick one thing it would be all the beautiful art. Everywhere you look there was so much color and texture. The paintings, sculptures, architecture. The markets full of such variety of items. It's a very visual place. I also loved being there with a group of friends. That really added to the experience. I look forward to reminiscing about all the things we saw and did.

It was a fabulous experience. I will definitely go back to China again. Bye for now.

*** THE END ***

P.S. Here are 3 photos that I like that did not fit anywhere. First one is little jello thingees at the Wu Mart next to our hotel in Shanghai. Middle one is ceiling detail from the colonnade in the Summer Palace. Last one is close-up of ancient weapons at the Great Wall.



P.P.S. Some Chinese phrases we learned:
Ni Hao - Hello
Zai Jien - Good bye
Xia Xia (shee-a shee-a) - Thank you
Hao - good
Bu Hao - not good
Ding Ding Hao - very good
Ma Ma Hu Hu - so-so
Bu ya shay shay - No thanks, I don't want it.

Now it really is THE END. Zai Jien!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Susan,

What a wonderful blog, thanks for sharing it!

Brian

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan:
Thank you for sharing your visit to China. It was well informative and educational too.
Someday, maybe I will take my girls and Wally to see the nice places you visited.

Loy

Unknown said...

Amazing job, Susan! Someone could take the commentary and the pictures and make a whole, year-long school class out of it!

Anonymous said...

I loved it! It was like reliving the trip.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing, Susan! I'm with Barbara, this is like re-living the trip, only without some of the minor "inconveniences!"
Katy

Anonymous said...

susan this is freaking amazingly cool!! i loved it!! and especially because i'd forgotten so much! A+ !
Emily

wendytourguide said...

Great. I really enjoyed the pictures, text, vocabulary. Perhaps, you would consider becoming a travel writer.

Wendy

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing Susan! It looks like you had an amazing trip. Great photos and comments. I love the internet!

Anonymous said...

Susan, I just finished looking at your blog of the China Trip. What a delightful retelling of our trip!Your photos are great, your narrative is very informative and your comments made it so personal. I felt like I was back on the tour. Now I really want to finish putting my photos on a CD. Ted

Anonymous said...

Susan -- Go Girl! Great blog and terrific opportunity to relive some of the moments of our trip. Your balance between narrative and pics was lovely, and i especially appreciated the thoughtful links, for example, "knotting".
Sally

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan
Thanks so much for passing this on to me, your photos and comments are wonderful. Also thanks for everything this past week.

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Susan:

Your blog made my day. Lately, my spirits have been down and I needed some emotional support. Thank you for sharing your trip to China for it was quite inspiring. Like a good book, I could not "put your blog down" until I had finished.

Zai Jien

Maurice

Anonymous said...

Susan,
I feel like I don't need to write about the trip, because you did it so well! (And, you even have pictures of me and my family...)

thanks so much for doing this,
Marian